Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Penultimate Issue


Here she is at the LiBerry Music Festival, Carey Seward, musician and playwright, founder of Seward's Follies, on the cover of the penultimate issue of The Ester Republic. Or possibly the last issue, but what I put on the cover was the word "penultimate," thinking that perhaps I didn't mean it but too tired to look it up. Hah! My subconscious really didn't want to let it go.
At any rate, now I have that ambiguous possibility waiting for me, the hope left in print on the early October 2012 issue of Ester's only paper that it might in fact return, left there due to bleary eyes and a late night trying to get the last damn issue to bed and off to the printer, once again without enough of the right kind of help, despite the good intentions of so many good people.
And now, people still ask me from time to time if the Republic will ever return, or they tell me they miss it. I miss it too.

I think about what the next issue tagline could be:
  • the Resurrection Issue (implies it'll go on living, if the Romans don't get it)
  • the Zombie Issue (much more probable scenario, at least insofar as the condition of Madame Publisher is likely to be)
  • the Revival Issue (I doubt I'll get Religion, but who knows?)
  • the Reawakened Issue (it was asleep all along, just hibernating here in the north, folks)
See how much fun this could be?
However, the Republic won't be back until the library is built. I just can't handle two enormous projects at the same time. (No guarantees, folks!)

No comments: